Most people think I am super organised, I'm not, I just have a really short memory, If I don't write stuff down it usually doesn't get done. Of late I have been trying to write out my weekly menu and stick to it as best as I can. I find this excersise helpful for two reasons:
- It saves me from the what's for dinner question at 5:30 each evening. I don't mind cooking, but to be honest, if I could pass off a few chores making meals would definitely be up there with my never ending pile of laundry! So when I have a plan and it is written down I just find it a lot easier to follow through.
- Having a menu forces me to make a grocery list which really saves on time and money! Since January we decided that we would try to be more conscious of how much we were spending on groceries each month. When I make a menu and only buy what is necessary to prepare the planned meals, I have been able to knock off a considerable amount from my grocery bill. (the money I save has then been used to build up our 3 month and long term food storage)
For my Creative Exercise today, I asked each one of my kids to give me a supper idea for this weeks menu and that child will then get to help prepare that meal with me! Here is what we came up with.
- MONDAY Sam's day
- Breakfast- Yogurt Parfiats and Banana Muffins Supper- Brenda's Beef Stew and buns
- TUESDAY Shaina's day
- Breakfast- Bagels and fruit smoothies Supper- Chicken enchaladas/rice/salad
- WEDNESDAY Julie's day
- Breakfast- Poached eggs and toast Supper- Shrimp and veggie linguini
- THURSDAY Dallin's day
- Breakfast- Pancakes Supper- Meatloaf/baked potatoes/salad
- FRIDAY Maryn's day
- Breakfast- Apple cinnamon oatmeal Supper- Homemade pizza
- Breakfast- cold Cereal Supper- Brocolli/cheese soup and buns
- Breakfast- cold cereal Supper- Chicken crunch casserole/veggie